Have stretch marks on inner thigh, purple, indented. What is this?

i have stretch like marks on the inner thigh areas on both legs... they are purple and indented and look like streaks... what is this?
Posted Tue, 11 Sep 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
This is definitely not a sexually transmitted disease. In fact, these look like recently formed stretch marks or could possibly represent lymphangitis as well. Lymphangitis is a condition where the lymphatics get inflamed in response to an infection. I would like to know if you have recently lost/gained some weight? Also, are you currently receiving any medication? Is there any fever, pain or swelling in your legs or feet or in the genital regions?
awaiting your reply
Follow-up: Have stretch marks on inner thigh, purple, indented. What is this? 8 minutes later
the marks have just been more noticeable since i gelled / shaved my legs. the purple color has gone away and the marks have always been there i think but maybe are increasing in number?
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 5 hours later
If you have been otherwise well, the marks only represent stretch marks. A stretch XXXXXXX occurs when the collagen under the skin breaks. This break is often accompanied by a break in few vessels. If you regularly exercise and keep fit, the appearance of these marks would decrease. I dont think there is anything that we need to be worried about.
I hope that answers your question