Have stretch marks all over the body. How can I get rid of them?

Hello Doctor, I hope you are doing great.

My question to you is any strech XXXXXXX on our body, will it be there forever? if no, what could be the treatment. I workout, go to GYM 6 days a week, I had an Indian Whey suplement just for a week, and since then I started getting strech marks on my arms. my height is 6 and I am fit, howver, I wasnt to get rid of this strech marks all over my body. please advice.

Thank you in advance!
Posted Mon, 10 Jun 2013 in Beauty & Cosmetics
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 3 hours later

Stretch marks appear in the dermis of the skin. The dermis is mostly composed of collagen and collagen together with elastin provides the skin with strength and elasticity. Stretching the skin like in pregnancy or losing or gaining weight, over a short period, can cause damage to the collagen and elastin levels and thus compromise the supportive material of the dermis. When this occurs and the stretchy fibres in the dermis tear, it causes stretch marks.

Once stretch marks pass the initial stage, when they are red or purple, to the later stages, where they become white or silver, they are more difficult to treat.

Creams containing alpha hydroxyl acids and retin-A are said to be useful in decreasing the stretch marks but they should be used under medical guidance. Fractional laser resurfacing and microdermabrasion are quite effective and you can get them done from a dermatologist.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.