Have strange tingling sensation in hand. What could possibly be wrong? See a physician?

Excellent

Question
I currently have a strange tingling sensation in my right hand. Mostly my pinky and ring finger. It feels as if it has "fallen asleep". However, unlike a leg falling asleep, simply moving it around does not make it better. Plus I don't currently and haven't had my hand in a position that would constrain circulation at all. What could is possibly be? Should I see my physician?
Posted Thu, 14 Jun 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 12 hours later
The symptoms which you’ve described indicate involvement of the ulnar nerve which is usually involved around the elbow area and is called “cubital tunnel syndrome”.

Diabetes & hypothyroidism are the two diseases which commonly can involve both the medial & ulnar nerves and need to be ruled out. Hence, I’ll suggest getting the blood sugar and thyroid profile to be done.

Nerve conduction velocity test will help in confirming the involvement of the ulnar nerve. The usual treatment of the same is usually done by occupational & physiotherapy.

I’ll suggest consulting a neurologist for the same. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Have strange tingling sensation in hand. What could possibly be wrong? See a physician? 7 hours later
I realized, early that day I was trying to turn a screw that was stuck using a drum tuning key. Doing that put a lot of stress on my other two fingers. Is it possible that the stress on those two fingers caused more blood to flow to them leaving the others with slightly less blood causing the tingling sensation?

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 4 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me.

With the additional information that you have provided, there is a possibility that the peripheral cutaneous nerve which passes through the palm being compressed while working with the screw. In this, there is a temporary loss of motor and sensory function due to blockage of nerve conduction, usually lasting an average of six to eight weeks before full recovery.

It is not due to compromised blood supply but looks like due to compressed nerve for which anti inflammatory medicines and warm compresses are helpful in reducing inflammation.