Have strange fluttering under rib cage, no pain. What could be the cause?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
I have strange fluttering under my right rib cage. No pain. It is worse when I sit down. It has been on and off for a few weeks. I am worried about aneurysm. I also have a strong pulse in the middle of my abdomen.
Posted Fri, 28 Jun 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 16 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

I note from your age that you are not elderly. Also, you have no previous medical problems. I assume you are worried about an abdominal aneurysm. These are relatively uncommon and tend to occur in the elderly. They would not present with fluttering in the rib cage as you describe. They can produce a strong pulse felt in the abdomen. However, I think it is important that you get reassurance from your own doctor who will be able to examine you. If your doctor has any concerns, they will be able to investigate it with an abdominal CT scan.

At this stage and from the information you have given me, I think it most unlikely that you have an aneurysm.

I hope this has been of help to you. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Dr K A Pottinger. MBChB. FRCA.