Ask a Urologist   »  

Have stone in upper ureter. Discomfort while passing urine and pain in penis. Are they related?

Hello Doctor,

I had severe pain in my lower abdomen (LHS) couple of months back and I had to rush to the hospital and they found out a 4mm stone in my upper Ureter by ulttasound.

And I started drinking around 3 litres of water from then and was feeling fine so far.

But from last couple of weeks I am feeling discomfort while passing Urine (slight pain at the tip). From the last 2-3 days it has got increased and having frequent urge to urinate but it doesn't pass with full flow and sometimes it comes in few drops only with pain at the end.

Is this urinary problem because of this stone? Will it be possible for you to provide some medication or suggest some tests.
Posted Fri, 15 Mar 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 5 hours later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

Once a stone has been found, depending on the size, treatment is advised. A stone that has reached the size of 3 mm or larger, can cause obstruction of the ureter. Another possibility is recurrent due to stones.

You could be experiencing any one of these two possibilities (infection or impacted stone).

An impacted stone causing obstruction requires immediate management, whereas a UTI can be treated with medication (antibiotics like ciprofloxacin or norfloxacin, pain management, potassium based solutions). Treatment options for an impacted stone are: electroshock wave lithotripsy (ESWL), ureteroscopy and lithotripsy, etc.

Please visit your doctor at the earliest for a diagnosis and management accordingly. A urine analysis and urine culture to rule out a UTI and an ultrasound examination for an impacted stone.

I hope this information helps. Do write back to me for any further information or clarifications. Wishing you a speedy recovery and great health thereafter.

Best wishes.