Have stone in kidney. Having flank pain. How long does it take to pass kidney stone?

Urologist
Question
I have a 1 cm stone in kidney. I had excruciating flank pain on right side until I got pain medication. Now I appear to be back to normal. How long does it take to pass the stone?
Posted Sun, 21 Apr 2013 in Kidney Conditions

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 1 hour later
Welcome to the forum.
It is hard to predict a time frame and varies from person to person.
But, 1 cm stone cannot be taken as one that can be passed in the urine. It needs to be fragmented with lithotripsy.
Pls discuss with your doc.
Best regards

Follow-up: Have stone in kidney. Having flank pain. How long does it take to pass kidney stone? 16 hours later
So sorry. I called my doctor's office and they confirmed it was actually 1mm..not 1 cm. That's better, right?

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 17 hours later
Welcome back.
So if it is 1 mm, it does not even warrant any worthwhile discussion.
Best regards and wish you good health.

Follow-up: Have stone in kidney. Having flank pain. How long does it take to pass kidney stone? 6 minutes later
Phew--Thank you.

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 24 minutes later
wish you good health.