Have stomach rumbling and experiencing diarrhoea. What should I do?

For a period of time I have stomach rumbling, which can be quite loud, depending on what I have eaten. Recently experienced diarrohea.
Posted Mon, 20 Aug 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
I am a medical specialist with an additional degree in Cardiology. I read your question with diligence. As this is causing social problem it can not be dismissed as such. If you care to answer some of these questions we can formulate a strategy so as to overcome this problem of yours.
1. You said you are having diarrhea for some time? When does it occur in relation
to food intake and what is the relation of food intake with rumbling? Is it constant?
That after food you will have the symptom or you will have symptom wen you
are empty stomach?
2. Any specific food (or group of food) is associated with more rumbling?
3. Do you have any other symptoms like stomach ache, constipation or just
gaseous fullness with or without sour eructations?

4. Any change in appetite or loss of weight associated with rumbling?
5. Any other information you want to give like aggravating factors or relieving

Looking forward to hear from you. Good Luck.
With Best Wishes

Dr Anil Grover,
Medical Specialist & Cardiologist
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW
Follow-up: Have stomach rumbling and experiencing diarrhoea. What should I do? 41 hours later
In response to following questions:

1. My diarrohea occured on Sunday on two separate sessions. One being when I exited from bed because my stomach rumbled and I felt the need to attend toilet. I was out previous night and had consumed beer and sprits. I also had second bout after I had lunch with some stomach rumbling. I have not experiened diarrohea since. Overall my diarrohea is not consistent, but some times my stools are loose. I had no stomach rumblings yesterday. I had minimum amount of bread.

2. Today I had two slices of toast with orange juice with a scone, jam, butter, and coffee mid morning. At lunch I had savoury mince and potatoes, which I could see some oil. After lunch I have experienced some stomach rumblings with no need to attend toilet to pass stools.

3. My stomach rumblings seem to come and go over a period of days. I will expereince symtoms more often after I have consumed food. It occurs sometimes with little food in my stomach. Rumblings occur more often with food containing wheat, pasta, special k, and chips (oil based). Somtimes I eat a chocolate biscuit and a glass of milk late evening, then I my rumblings start!

4. I do not experience constipation, stomach ache. However, I do experience a feeling such as, gaseous fullness, and need to attend toilet to pass stools, but none to pass, more like a wind with a limited amount of liquid passed.

5. My job at times as a child protection social worker can be stressful, which may contribute to rumblings methinks.
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 6 hours later
Thanks for replying to my questions.
Going through answers I find one common thing that whenever you high calorie low fiber meal there is more rumbling and at times diarrhea, as you yourself pointed out some stress is also contributing. Therefore, if you have not lost weight recently or are not loosing weight in next 8 weeks, try dietary therapy only. My suggestion to you would be only OTC drug/food supplement ISABGOL (it comes in various tastes and flavours) HUSK. Should you need (as per your assessment) another OTC drug please consult a doctor who can examine you physically and order a couple of tests, we do not want to miss any serious underlying disease which I doubt very much you have one.

The goal of treatment is to relieve symptoms.

Lifestyle changes can help in some for example, regular exercise and improved sleep habits may reduce hidden anxiety or overt stress and help relieve symptoms.

Dietary changes can be helpful. However, no specific diet can be recommended for rumbling because the condition differs from one person to another.

The following changes may help:
•Avoid foods and drinks that stimulate the intestines (such as caffeine, tea, or
colas, alcohol limit as much you can)

•Avoid large meals

•Increase fiber in the diet (this may improve constipation but make bloating worse). Isabgol husk taken at bed time or first thing in the morning with low fat milk will relieve this bloating to nil.
Weigh yourself, try these changes for at least 4 weeks, if you loose weight or you are feeling worse please write and discontinue. At present I think prescribing medicines for you and/or asking you to see a doctor is not necessary. Good Luck.

Isabgol is available in most of the supermarket as food remedy,If you can't find it, try Fybogel instead. You can get this at most UK supermarkets and Boots / chemists etc.... it's basically isabgol but has a flavour with it too - the orange ones are actually quite nice!!

With Best Wishes

Dr Anil Grover,
Medical Specialist & Cardiologist
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW