Have stomach pain when passing stools. What to do?

I have stomach pain all the time when I go to the toilet I pass blood through my stools this is bright red and worrying
Posted Sat, 9 Nov 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You need to undergo colonoscopy for your problem

Detailed Answer:

A more elaborate information would have helped me in reaching to a firm conclusion.

Nevertheless, from the sketchy details, fresh blood in stools may be due to:-

- Bleeding Piles
- Diverticulosis
- Ulcerative Colitis
- Bleeding in the stomach or intestine due to any other cause, such as, worms, a growth in the colon; regular use of pain-killers; liver problems.

I would therefore, request you to either:-

* provide as much details as possible, such as, duration, frequency of loose stools/constipation; presence of mucus in stools; nature and site of abdominal pain; presence/absence of associated nausea, vomiting, loss of weight/appetite, acidity symptoms; fever, history of redness of an eye, joints pain; regular intake of pain-killers and, EVEN other minor problem(s), IF ANY, which you may feel is unrelated to your current symptoms. I would then be in a much better position to give you the clue to the cause.

* or, consult your treating doctor/gastroenterologist who will take a detailed history of your symptoms, examine you thoroughly and order for certain investigations, such as, proctoscopy/colonoscopy/endoscopy to establish a firm diagnosis.

* In the meanwhile, there is no harm if you take a deworming course, antacids, and a 5 days' course of anti-protozoal agents, such as metronidazole.

Awaiting your feedback as desired,

Dr. Rakesh Karanwal