Have stomach pain, gas, frequent urinating. watery diarrhoea, bloating.Had diagnosed with IBS. Related?

Jan 2013

I have been diagnosed many yrs ago with IBS.........I have learned to manage it with only occasional flare ups. This time, I have stomach pain, gas, the usual....but also have the need to urinate frequently too. Have watery diarrhea in the morning....also bloating. Are these symptoms consistant with IBS? Female 65yrs old........first diagnosed about 30 yrs ago.......have had routine colonoscopies etc.
Posted Thu, 16 May 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 1 hour later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Do you have fever/ spasmodic abdominal pain/ vomiting along with mentioned symptoms?
What is the type of IBS? Whether predominant diarrhea or constipation type.

As you have already a diagnosed case of IBS, there could be possibility of associated secondary gastrointestinal infection which could be viral or bacterial in nature.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ gastroenterologist and should go for thorough check up.
Although IBS is functional disorder of gastrointestinal tract, you should take complete antibiotic therapy, antispasmodics, probiotics for a short period of time.
If IBS is predominant diarrhea type then low dose of tricyclic antidepressants are highly effective in treating your condition.

You should maintain your hydration status by taking potassium XXXXXXX liquids.
Frequent loose diarrhea may cause loss of potassium with weakness and fatigue feeling.
Take soft diet along with yogurt and banana.
Avoid milk and all milk related products.

As such there appears to be least correlation between Zocor & Avapro and present symptoms.

Hope that helps.
Let me know your other query.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Follow-up: Have stomach pain, gas, frequent urinating. watery diarrhoea, bloating.Had diagnosed with IBS. Related? 41 minutes later
Thank you for your information. The type of IBS I have goes back and forth between constipation and diarrhea. The frequency of urination comes and goes too. I have taken Zocor and Avapro for many years with no side effects that I know of. I do take a probiotic everyday, which has always been helpful in the past. I am lactose intolerant and avoid milk products when possible. I do not have a fever and no vomiting. I do have abdominal pain which seems to move around and also gas. Thank you in advance for any more information.
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 12 minutes later
Still you should take short course of antibiotics.
You should also follow following dietary changes:
Avoid keeping dough and boiled egg in refrigerator.
Keep difference of 3 hours between meals and sleep.
Don't take tomatoes, and citrus fruits.
Avoid onion, garlic, excessive tea and coffee, chocolates,
Avoid oily and spicy food, non veg.

Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava