Have stomach issues. Get constipation, bloating and gas. Have hypothyroid and PCOD. Suggest medicine?

hello doc, I have very bad stomach issues. I get constipation very quickly. And terrible bloating and gas. I eat oats every day for fibre and drink 3 lit wtr.. I also have hypothyroid and PCOD issues. is there a good med I can take to regularize my stomach and bowel?
Posted Mon, 2 Sep 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Prasad 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Your current medical condition need revision.

Detailed Answer:

Bowel functions are governed by an intricate system of nerves and blood vessels. Various hormones and nerve reflex function through this intricate system that helps in normal bowel movements. Beside that, XXXXXXX gut issues and the type of diet influence the way your stools are formed.

Both hypothyroidism and estrogen - progesterone imbalance (seen in PCOD) alter bowel movement. You could get constipated due to these. In addition various other factors - stress, unhealthy life style, frequent travels, irregular work timings and so on can result in constipation. You would need to work with a doctor (endocrinologist) and gastroenterologist to isolate hormonal changes and various other factors causing this constipation.

Therefore if I were to be your treating doctor, I would first reassess your thyroid state using blood test (TSH) as well PCOD state (FSH) values and treat it accordingly before prescribing medication. In addition to continue healthy diet (the ones you are already on) apart advice you to follow healthy life style and physical exercise. If all the tests are normal, stool softeners like lactulose can be started briefly for few weeks to help you.

Discuss about these with your regular doctor. You are free to write back for clarifications.