Have stomach flu, getting severe pain in kidney and testicle. What should I do?

My husband seems to have the stomach flu, but his kidneys and testicles are in severe pain. Is this a typical side effect what should we do?
Posted Mon, 4 Feb 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 52 minutes later

Typical flu is unlikely to involve the kidneys and testicles, hence unlikely to cause pain. Sometimes generalized malaise, body ache can occur in flu.

If abdominal pain is severe and associated with urinary symptoms, it could be an ultrasound and urine examination to ascertain the cause.

Hope this answers your query. Do let me know if there are more concerns.

Wish you a speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Have stomach flu, getting severe pain in kidney and testicle. What should I do? 22 hours later
I took my husband to the ER last night. They performed a cat scan and an untrasound and found nothing. He has a hydroceal on his left testicle and has had it for years. I was wondering if that could cause the severe pain in the groin around to the lower back. He was checked for kidney stones and nothing was found. They checked the testicle and found nothing, except the hydroseal and a tiny cist. They put him on pain killers and unless he takes them every four hours he has an unbearable pain level. He has never been on pain killers before and it scares me because I have heard how addictive they can be.
XXXXXXX is a farmer, we have been married 22 years and we have 10 lovely children. I am scared that they could not find the cause of it and have sent him home to suffer here. They said if the pain is worse than before to come back in, but when the pain medications wear off he feel like he is dying. He even gave final instruction of what to do if he doesn't make it.
I don't know what to do, I feel like waiting to see a specialist might be XXXXXXX Maybe I am wrong and too worried because he usually is so strong and ignores pain.
He is now on Hydrocodone/Acetaminophen 5/325 for pain.
Ondamsetron 4mg for nausea.
Amoxicillin-pot Clavul 875-125 for an antibiotic.
There is no improvement once the Hydrocodone wears off. What would you recommend doing?
(I assume the antibiotic would help with the urinary tract infection symptoms if that is the cuprit)
One more note, when he describes the pain, he says it is inside not in the outer muscles. What else could be going on?
Thanks so very much for your input.
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 2 hours later

Thanks for writing back. I understand your concerns and your love towards your family. It's wonderful.

In this scenario, if I were the treating doctor, I would hospitalize your husband for a minimum of 24 hours. I would want to look at his symptoms and progression more closely. A vigilant watch.

Opioid analgesics do sometimes worsen constipation, if the patient is already constipated and aggravate the symptoms. It is not a good measure to put your husband on Hydrocodone and suppress the pain. We rather figure out the cause of his pain and treat it.

Look into following possibilities:

1) Spinal cord/ disc problems (MRI spine may help to look for radiculopathy)
2) If he has had a skin rash in that area needs to exclude herpes zoster infection in past with post herpetic neuralgia
3) Needs exclusion of functional pain, though unlikely, needs to be looked into.

Wish your husband a speedy recovery.