Have stomach ache and started rectal bleeding. Could it be premature periods? Any suggestions?

I went to the toilet and there was loads of bright red blood that came out my bottom hurt to go and after, and id been in alot of tummy pain all day, I am 100 % certain it wasnt my period befre you ask but a few hours later I bleed vaginally and im not due for anothe ten days and it wasnt like my period, I went to hospital and they thought it could be an eptopic pregnancy so ran blood tesys which came back negative they have given me a refferal letter which suggest having other tests such as a colonoscopy and some pain killers but said the other bleeding could just be a premature period, I no my own body and its not a normal period its bright red and extremly heavy can someone please tell me what it could be the.pain is still bad but its not like p.pain
Im still bleeding. I havent tried to go to the toilet since.because I fear it will hurt. The pain in my abdomen isnt like cramps its continuous and feels tender there but sometimes gets it gets worse. Any help or suggestions would be amazing, I am going to my gp on monday too. Thankyou
Posted Fri, 9 Nov 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 3 hours later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

So you are saying that you had rectal bleeding, followed by vaginal bleeding that is NOT like period bleeding. This is in the setting of a negative evaluation for a GYN cause in the ER setting.

This could be as simple as bleeding hemorrhoids (veins within the rectum that are prone to bleeding, a common benign problem) or as complicated as something called Inflammatory Bowel disease (e.g. Crohn's disease or Ulcerative colitis). The goal of the visit with your GP should be to review the GYN side of things and make sure that there is no concern about your cycles, uterus, or pregnancy. THEN the focuse should be on what is going on with your bowels. Even if your bleeding has stopped at that point, you need to be seen by a GI specialist (bowel doctor).

In the meantime, I would consider stool softeners (docusate sodium 100mg twice daily), and minimize straining with bowel movements. If your pain is severe, then you absolutely need to get back in to be seen before Monday.

I hope this helps. Please remember to rate this question / give me feedback. Please ask if you have more questions.