Have stinging nerve like pain in upper chest and abdomen. Family history of heart disease. Worrisome

Question
I have a stinging stabbing nerve like pain in my left upper chest. The pain also stretches in a line extending down to my left abdominal region. It is a very sharp pulsing pain. It doesn't last long but recurs over the last several days. I'm 57, female.
Chronic low back pain. tricuspid regurgitation.
Family history heart disease (father had heart attack at age 42, maternal grandfather died of heart attack at age 58)
Posted Thu, 9 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in.
You have history of chronic low back pain, tricuspid regurgitation.

As you are experiencing stinging nerve like pain in upper chest and radiating down to abdomen [left]- pulsing pain; it most likely from worsening of mitral valve prolapse and likely chances of mitral regurgitation.
Another differential diagnosis is anginal pain as pain recurs over several days.

You have risk factors for heart failure as - mitral valve prolapse and tricuspid regurgitation, family history of cardiac illnesses.
So I would suggest you to get echocardigram and ECG done to find out risk and extent of heart failure.

If we find out the extent /risk of heart failure; we can start cardio-protective medications. Currently you are not having any cardio-protective medicines. So consult cardiologist to rule out angina and heart failure.

I hope I have answered your query. In case of any doubt, I shall be happy to help you.
Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.

Follow-up: Have stinging nerve like pain in upper chest and abdomen. Family history of heart disease. Worrisome 12 hours later
Thank you. I had the disturbing pain again last night that woke me up during my sleep. I also had it again twice today, once while resting and chatting on the phone and once while on the treadmill. Does this change any of your advice?
I will call my doctor to follow-up.

Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 14 hours later

Thanks for writing in.
You are having anginal pain as heart is not getting enough of blood supply. It is likely to be due to heart failure as a result of tricuspid regurgitation.
I would suggest you to consult cardiologist urgently and get examined.
I hope this information helps.
Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.