Have stiffness in fingers. Unable to bend fingers and lift things. No swelling, X-ray normal. Ibuprofen helps. Suggest?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have stiffness in my fingers. Mostly the middle of my middle fingers on both hands. I cannot make a fist. Lifting things hurt them. They don't hurt as long as I'm not doing anything and I can type with no problem. No swelling or deformation. x-rays normal. Ibuprofen helps. Any suggestions?
Posted Sun, 15 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I suspect Early Rheumatoid Arthritis.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

There are a few conditions that produce stiffness in the fingers. The first and likely possibility in your case is EARLY Rheumatoid arthritis which typically manifests as Early morning stiffness in fingers of BOTH hands lasting for over 1 hour.

The other possibilities are -

* OSTEOARTHRITIS of Finger joints - in early stages will not show any xray changes. Presents with Pain and stiffness of the involved joints.

* DUPUYTREN'S CONTRACTURE - which involves thickening of the fascia beneath the skin of palm and fingers producing stiffness in fingers and in late stages will result in curling of fingers.

So, a detailed clinical examination along with appropriate investigations will help in correctly diagnosing your condition.

I suggest you to consult an orthopedic surgeon for further management.

Hope I have justified your query. I welcome any clarification