Have stiffness in finger middle joints and frequently getting click sound. Suggest?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My finger middle joints are always giving a stiffness, if I get feel to do press on it - getting frequently giving click sounds.
Posted Sat, 17 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 14 hours later
The stiffness in the finger joints and the clicking sounds are likely to be due to early osteoarthritic changes in the joints or a mild decrease in the joint lubricants.
It mostly subsides by taking antiinflammatory agents and mild pain killers like ibuprofen. In some cases for acute problem muscle relaxants like thiocolchicoside are needed after consulting with your orthopaedician.
If still there is no relief then oral steroids and oral lubricating agents like glucosamine sulfate and chondroitin are given. Injections - intra- articular are the last options to be considered if all the above measures fail.
In the meanwhile, for symptomatic relief:
1. Give enough rest to your hand. Avoid using keyboard continuously for too long.
2. Take mild pain killers like acetaminophen or ibuprofen.
3. Stronger prescription NSAIDS with muscle relaxants may help if simple analgesics do not help.
4. Hot compresses to your fingers will be useful in decreasing the stiffness. You may apply a local analgesic gel on that area.
5. regular exercises to improve mobility of the joint can be helpful under the guidance of a physiotherapist after the acute pain subsides completely.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.