Have stiff neck, pain and numbness on finger tips with swollen veins. Taking vicodin. Underlying cause?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I went in for a routine visit to my doctor. Happened to mention a stiff neck - slept funny that night. He sat me on the table, stood behind me, put his right foot on table and had me bend and raise my right arm and place it on his leg for a minute and half. He put pressure on my arm and my armpit was pushing on his leg. It was uncomfortable as my arm was asleep. That night the pain in my entire arm was unbearable. Felt like it was being crushed in a vise. I had 2 utlra sounds and mri and my veins in my right arm are 3 times the size of the veins in my left arm. Almost 2 weeks later I still have pain and numbness in my finger tips. The doctor said this was not caused by adjustment to my neck rather similar to vericose veins and can happen anytime. I find it odd that I went in with no pain, and came out with swollen veins, and have been on vicodin for 2 weeks now. Please advise if it is possible putting pressure on my armpit and putting my arm to sleep for a minute and half could have caused this... is is POSSIBLE? Thank you
Posted Wed, 8 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
The pain and numbness in your fingertips is likely to be due to overstretching of the nerves in your armpit. It is less likely to develop varicose veins suddenly without any history of pooling of blood in the area. Also, Varicose veins are not likely to be associated with numbness and pain in the fingertips.
The treatment involves mild pain killers and methylcobalamin supplements with adequate rest to the arm. You need to avoid all overhead activities and avoid lifting any weights.
The symptoms are likely to subside in two weeks of treatment. In case the symptoms are persistent then do consult a neurologist for a physical examination.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow-up: Have stiff neck, pain and numbness on finger tips with swollen veins. Taking vicodin. Underlying cause? 1 hour later
My specific question was could the pressure put on my armpit and putting my arm to sleep be a possible cause for the swelling of the veins and the pain and numbness in my arm? Yes? or Not possible? He called a a basilic vein in my arm - and compared it to a varicose vein...could the stretching of the arm pit cause swelling in the basilic vein, pain in my arm and numbness in my fingers?
Thanks, XXXXXX

Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The overstretching of the arm and a pressure on the armpit can cause the arm to sleep, pain and numbness in your arm and fingers.
The swelling of the basilic vein is not likely to be related to the stretching.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.

Follow-up: Have stiff neck, pain and numbness on finger tips with swollen veins. Taking vicodin. Underlying cause? 8 hours later
Thanks, I think this will be my last question :) ... I was diagnosed with thrombosis in the arm. Never had issues before with swollen veins, vericose veins etc. as mentioned had no pain before the adjustment to my neck and stretching of armpit. I am certain the stretching of armpit is what caused all this pain and numbness. Doctor disagrees of course. ** Would thrombosis cause numbing of my fingers? Thanks again for your time.

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 10 hours later
Thrombosis of the arm can affect the nerves also causing the numbness of the fingers. The symptoms you have can be related to the thrombosis. Taking methylcobalamin supplements will help in decreasing the numbness of the fingers.