Have stent placed in circumvent artery. Having pain. Is this related to the femoral angioplasty?

Question
I am a 65 year old male who had a stent placed in my circumvent artery 14 months ago. I have never smoked, am slender with good blood pressure and normal cholesterol. I have not been taking any medications for the past six months. No other significant medical history except of one kidney stone 2.5 years ago. Six months ago I began experiencing intermittent pressure and sometime a low level of pain in the lower right abdomen and can move around to side and back--comes, goes--no other symptoms. Does not respond to pressure or exercise. Goes away when I sleep. Can disappear for days and can be present at a low level for days. Has increased in presence over the past six months. I have wondered if it is related to the femoral angioplasty. I would emphasize-no other symptoms of any type. Blood tests have been normal and normal MRI. Thanks
Posted Sat, 13 Oct 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 3 hours later
Hello XXXXXX and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

I must admit you are doing well on habits considering your vascular history. Your present concern of 6 months pain in the area you have written about, with the background of kidney stone duly needs review to the present status (precisely the size) of that kidney stone - which I may assume to be the right kidney related due to the fact of your pain localization. Typically the back side of the abdomen region is involved as is in your case. The vague symptoms of on and off type also is another consideration to the size fluctuations over period of 6 months that would be directly proportional to the spasms of the smooth muscles/viscera causing pain.

Angioplasty/stent placement of the femoral artery that you have also mentioned more than a year ago, may not be directly related as the pain distribution holds the key in diagnosis, and migration of pain even if is due to stent to the extent of abdominal area looks rare. A clinical exam by your vascular surgeon over the designated area should be able to confirm the same.

I would suggest you to take up another consultation for evaluation of your kidneys with tests as required for the stone causation if confirmed, the necessary management as long term (6 months in your case) stones which are not self dissolving as in most cases would be needing management medically (stone dissolving drugs) or surgically (laparoscopic removal) or even sound based lithotripsy options depending on the size and type.

I am sure this pain would disappear subsequently.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Sincerely,

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla,
MBBS, MD.
Consultant Physician.