Have stasis dermatitis. Applying hydro-cortisone. Noticed thinning of skin, cracked bleeds. Ulcers?

I have stasis dermatitis.I am 61,male, about 1m/70cm tall.about 90 kilos.I apply a hydro-cortisone.I have noticed a thinning of the skin around the ankles and developed cracked bleeds which seemed to have
started to heal.Without this cream the inflammation increases.I am worried about developing ulcers(how should these be treated?)
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 42 minutes later
Hi there XXXXXXX

Thank you for posting your question here.

Treating the cause (if any) is important and essential for complete and effective of stasis dermatitis. You do not say what the 'underlying cause' of this stasis is. - If it’s varicose veins then they need to be dealt with aggressively. If heart failure, then likewise.

Hydro-cortisone cream 0.5% is usually optimum in managing the symptoms of stasis dermatitis. Anything stronger and you run the risks of thinning of the skin. Since you have already developed thinning of the skin and cracked lesions (which can occur due to dryness), you may apply topical emollients for few weeks. If you still have itchiness, particularly at night, then you can take an antihistamine like Zyrtrex. A cage over your legs may also help to keep them cool.

Hope this answers your query. I would like to hear about the "underlying cause" responsible for stasis dermatitis in you. Do revert and I'll tell you how I would treat them.