Have started having Accidental Bowel Leakage. Suggest?

I have started having ABL. not all the time, but seems to be happing more often.
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Kindly reply few questions.

Detailed Answer:
As your question is not clear, I need to know few more details to answer your query:
What do you mean by ABL?
What is happening to you? what are your complaints?
Please ask if you have more questions, and do write back with the answers so that I can guide you further.

Awaiting your response.

Follow-up: Have started having Accidental Bowel Leakage. Suggest? 32 minutes later
I am having accidental bowel leakage. (ABL) I never know when it even happens.

I don't know if I'm eating too much fiber, or not enough.
I don't think it is a OB/GYN issue. I'm going to be 80 in October, am in very good health. Weigh about 147lbs, 5' 3". Blood Presser !20-130 over 60-70

Maybe the muscle at the end of the colon is worn-out. ??????
Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
There are many causes for ABL

Detailed Answer:

I apologize for the late response; I was away from my computer due to unavoidable reasons. Your problem could be related to OBGY or surgical problem. If you chronic diarrhea or constipation it could be a cause for this problem. Also get evaluated for diabetes by doing your fasting & post-prandial blood sugar, as diabetes can also lead to this problem.

I want to reassure you ABL is not a serious problem, it can be treated completely. Hence I advise you to visit a Colorectal surgeon for clinical evaluation, and they may advise you to do some investigations like ANAL MANOMETRY or ANAL ULTRASOUND depending on the Sphincetric condition you will be advised treatment.

Treatment depends on the cause, for time being you can have lifestyle and dietary changes to relieve constipation or diarrhea exercise programmes to strengthen the muscles that control the passage of stools. Your doctor can advise you some medications which control your bowel and lastly surgical option if the sphincteric muscles are weakened.

Please ask if you have more questions. If you are satisfied, please make sure that your ACCEPT my answer so that I receive credit. Good luck!!