Have stage four endometriosis. Had several surgeries. Tail bone hurts. Concerned?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have stage four endometriosis and have had several surgeries. However about 9 months ago my tailbone started to hurt. At first I thought maybe I fell and didn't think much of it. It hurts depending on how I sit and when I first get up. It doesn't hurt when I walk. Sometimes when I'm sleeping the pain wakes me up. I'm starting to get a little concerned. My age is 43 and other than my endometriosis I'm other wise healthy
Posted Sat, 26 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It could be Coccydynia

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Pain in the tail bone area is termed Coccydynia. This condition is caused by an injury or stress that affects the tailbone, as well as the muscles and nerves surrounding it. Examples include:
• Fall or trauma
• Prolonged sitting on hard surfaces
• Spinal cyst or tumor
• Dislocation from injury or Overweight , which can cause bones to shift
• Repeated stress (eg, horseback riding, bicycling, motorcycle riding)

An Xray of the Sacrum is needed to know any bony pathology and MRI scan will pickup soft tissue pathology, if any.

To lessen the pain, the following measures have to be taken -

* Sit completely upright with proper posture — keeping your back firmly against the chair, knees level with your hips, feet flat on the floor and shoulders relaxed

* Sitz baths (which involves soaking hips and buttocks) in warm water

* Lean forward while sitting down

* Sit on a doughnut-shaped pillow or wedge (V-shaped) cushion

* Apply heat or ice to the affected area

*Physical therapy involving strengthening of pelvic area muscles , stimulation with ultrasound therapy

* Take over-the-counter pain relievers, such as acetaminophen (Tylenol), ibuprofen (Advil)

If your symptoms are not resolving with the above measures, an injection of a steroid may provide good relief.

Hope I have addressed your query.