Have stage IV cholangiocarcinoma. Found tumors in liver. What is the life expectancy?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2013
Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Question

I have Stage IV cholangiocarcinoma. Had a Whipple in July, 2012, recovered fully, and I've declined chemo and radiation. Last week, I found that I have three tumors in my liver: one is 2 centimeters and the other two are much smaller. Again I am declining chemo/radiation. Otherwise, I'm quite healthy--51 years old, female, work out almost daily. Can you please give me a reasonable life expectancy range?
Posted Sun, 5 May 2013 in Cancer

Answered by Dr. Ivan Romic 41 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for your querry.
I am sorry about this serious diagnosis. I wish you to have enough strength and faith. You know that this is hard to predict. I would know more if I have seen reports. But Whipple procedure is performed only then when it was evaluated that life expectancy is significant. Obviously it was operabile and if tumor is found only in liver and there are no metastasis in other organs I think this is very good sign for you. Such small liver tumors can also be resected, but if it was considered stage IV, I doubt these are the only tumors and there might be some adjacent structures inflitrated. It is also hard to predict how fast will 2cm large tumor grow,but usually it grows 5-10cm per year, and even 20% of your liver is enough for its normal function.So if you dont have jaundice now and feel healthy you can hope for better prognosis.
Statistics have shown 4% survival for a 3 year period and 15% for 1 year. But these are calculated without treatment. Since you had Whipple procedure and primary tumor was resected I think you can expect 2-3 years. ALso,consider chemo and radioth once again. Honestly, it can be very unpleasant and it may not prolong life for ,but consult your oncologist and try to find the best solution.YOu can have only chemo or only radio. It could slow down tumor growing.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help

Follow-up: Have stage IV cholangiocarcinoma. Found tumors in liver. What is the life expectancy? 10 minutes later
Thanks for your input.

Answered by Dr. Ivan Romic 12 minutes later
You are welcome. Wish you good luck and good health madam.