Have spotting with brownish and pink discharge. What could be the cause?

hi i'm spotting brownish blood the light pink spotting what can this be?
Posted Thu, 11 Jul 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
The brownish and pink discharge can be due to several things. Maybe your next period has set in or we are probably looking at an abortion ( we'll have to confirm a pregnancy for that) or it could be just due to some local trauma.
Here's what you should be doing in this order
a. If you do not get your period, please do a urine pregnancy test at home 1 week after the day you should have started your period. If you want to know earlier, see a physician and get a serum beta hCG done for yourself. This is a blood test and will pick up the pregnancy sooner.
If this is positive, I would suggest that a transvaginal ultrasound scan be done at 6 weeks.
b. If you do get your period, it could be due to the beginning of your next period or due to local trauma ( which may be sustained during intercourse).
Do consult a gynecologist for a physical examination in that case.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.