Have spots on the bottom of foot. Feeling pain while walking. Any advice?

I have a spot on the bottom of my foot (smaller than a pencil eraser) that resembles something protruding out through my skin. I have one on each foot, both on bottom of foot, arch area. One is much more severe than the other, causing pain when I walk on it. I have to use one of those corn pads over it in order to be able to walk without severe pain. I can upload a picture if necessary. It seems to have grown over the past few months that I have had it. (the one has, the other is not directly on the part of foot I walk on, and hasn't really been irritated. I never go without socks and shoes, and I've not been anywhere to be exposed to any contagious condition that I know of. i want to clarify- the ring around the spot in the picture is just an indentation from wearing the corn pads everyday.
Please advise!
Posted Mon, 24 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 3 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX and thanks for posting the query
I have seen the picture uploaded by you and it seems to have a corn on your foot but to be sure about it I want to know some detail:
1. Is it hard to touch?
2. Does it is painful all the time or it causes pain while you put pressure on it?
3. Does it increasing in size or not?

To get rid from it you have to follow certain steps for treatment and prevention.
1. Corns can be treated with many types of medicated products like salicylic acids pads to chemically pare down the thickened, dead skin.
2. Surgical removal of the corn is rare treatment which has to be preformed when all other treatment fails to treat.

In many situations, corns can be prevented by reducing or eliminating the circumstances that lead to increased pressure at specific points on the hands and feet. Potential preventive measures therefore include the following:
1. Wearing well-fitting, comfortable shoes is useful.
2. Another approach is to pad the potentially affected area. Many sorts of padding are available at the drugstore: foam or moleskin pads to put over the places where corns form; foam pads with holes in the centre, which redistribute pressure around the corn instead of right over it.

As you have already used the corn pads but I think not continuous. Put a corn cap for 4-5 days without removing it. If it does not helps you than consult your physician and plan the further treatment.

Hope I have answered your query. Write back to me with the answers to above queries.

Best Wishes
Dr. Kulbir Singh
Follow-up: Have spots on the bottom of foot. Feeling pain while walking. Any advice? 11 hours later
To answer your questions:
Yes, it is hard to the touch, it is only painful when pressure is put on it, and it has grown in size. The corn pads I have been using are not medicated, they are simply the round pads with a hole over the spot to reduce the pressure when I walk on it. It actually feels like something with a "root", that is protruding out from the bottom of my foot. Since wearing these pads, it seems as though it has caused it to protrude more...It all did start when I bought some expensive work boots that addressed my "high arch" problem. Until these new boots, my arch had little to no support... causing typical pain from that, but nothing like this. I don't know if this is a contributing factor.
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 4 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX and thanks again
No doubt it is a corn. Yes the new works boots may be the cause that causing pressure at the point and caused the corn. Try changing the boots and avoids all the other factors which put pressure at the particular point.

Use the salicylic acid corn pads and if it does not help you consult your doctor for surgical removal.

Dr. Kulbir Singh
Follow-up: Have spots on the bottom of foot. Feeling pain while walking. Any advice? 17 hours later
I'm sorry, but I looked up the symptoms of a corn, and this is definately NOT a corn. I don't mean any disrespect, however, I got a second and third opinion, and was told this is more likely a "plantar fibroma".
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 9 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query
I apologize for the misdiagnosis but Plantar fibroma is very uncommon and usually has no pain in early stage. Clinical examination is very important for the diagnosis. That's why I have not mentioned it. Although it is to be confirmed by biopsy. The treatment is same by cushion pads so that pressure is to be reduced. Surgery is very rare in it. It is best to consult your physician and get clinically examined.
Dr. Kulbir Singh