Have spots on clitoris. Is this a normal phenomena or can this be treated?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2012
Jul 2012
Excellent

Dermatologist
Question
Hi, I have spots on my clitoris, they are similar to black heads only they are white and opaque rather than translucent with black tips. They are not like white heads that would typically be seen on the face. I am a virgin not sexually active. I have had bacterial vaginosis that was cleared up over a year or two ago. It this a normal phenomena or can this be treated?
Posted Thu, 8 Nov 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 23 minutes later
Hi there.
This could be normal or a fungal infection.
Do take a systemic antifungal ; fluconazole 200mg preferably combined with tinnidazole 2 gm as a single dose.
If it does not resolve in a week, do go across to a gynecologist or dermatologist ^ have it looked at!
Cheers & Good luck!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Dermatologist, Cosmetologist, Venereologist XXXXXXX Hospital, Bangalore, India

Follow-up: Have spots on clitoris. Is this a normal phenomena or can this be treated? 49 minutes later
I have had these spots sporadically over a prologued period of time (every once in a while) it is only recently that there have been more and on a more frequent basis. Does this affect the diagnosis and is the treatment available over the counter?

Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 9 hours later
Hi there
if anything, it reinforces the diagnosis.
I dont know about your part of the world but yes oral antifungal & antibiotics are usually prescription medications.
Having said that, please do take a transcript of this discussion & if the pharmacist in kildare is a kind man, knowing this was recommended by a XXXXXXX medical professional, should honour the prescription & help you out as it is only a single dose one-time medication i recommend!
Cheers & Good luck!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD

Follow-up: Have spots on clitoris. Is this a normal phenomena or can this be treated? 7 hours later
Thank you Dr XXXXXXX that is most helpful!

Finally, how contagious is this infection and how likely am I to contract this infection again?

Your help is much appreciated,

XXXXXXX.

Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 15 hours later
Hi there XXXXXXX
Apologies ..would hv answered this query yesterday but for the site hangin on me :)
It is not a highly contagious infection but pesky & can recur when the immunity gets suppressed, hygeine is poor, use of damp clothes or inadequate treatment of infected undergarments or excessive use of antibiotics etc that suppress normal flora.
So no guarantees on likelihood of contracting again..but no lasting immunity from previous infections as in a viral infection.
Hope this clears all doubts; please do close the query if so & give us a healthy rating;-) as else it bounces back in the inbox a s a follow-up query! Cheers!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD