Have spot on back rib. Tender to touch. Any idea what this might be?

I have a spot on my back rib that is tender to the touch, right on the peak of the rib bone. I only notice it when I touch it. It's been there for about two weeks. There is no bruise or marks on the skin. I'm a non-smoker. I got over a cold about two weeks ago. Any idea what this might be?
Posted Wed, 6 Mar 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 7 hours later
Hi and thanks for using health care magic,
A pain on the back, tender to touch could have different characteristics depending on the cause. It shall be worth noting any history of trauma, fever, evolution of the pain or any past history of such a feeling and spot.
A history of trauma could suggest a fracture or poor reconstituted bone. Fever could suggest an infection.
A chest X XXXXXXX is key in evaluating this pain. This shall describe the characteristics if the mass touched on palpation and also describe the integrity of the thorax as a whole. Biological exams like markers of inflammation could also be quite helpful in determining whether cause is inflammatory or not.
I would suggest you visit your family physician to get an X XXXXXXX done and a good physical exam. This should usually be sufficient to give a diagnosis and orient care.
Thanks and hope this helps. Do not hesitate asking nay further questions if need be. I suggest you XXXXXXX you family physician for a proper physical examination and complementary examinations.
Best regards,
Luchuo, MD.