Have spondylosis. Getting pain in head and neck. Are they related?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi, My mom is having spondilitis and yesterday she stated a lot of pain in her right hand and neck.
One of my know doctor says that it can be due to some nerve pressure and that they will do a MRI for it once pain goes off.
As per your understanding can this be related to Spondilitis or it can be something else.

Posted Sat, 18 May 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 21 minutes later
Stiff neck with pain in the neck and hand is suggestive of a vertebral level due to degenerative disc changes or cervical spondylosis. It happens primarily due to degenerative changes secondary to age in the cervical spine.

X-ray of neck in lateral view or MRI will help in the diagnosis.

Treatment includes
1. Use of cervical collar helps in immobilisation and brings relief.
2. Medical drugs like pain killers - acetaminophen/ibuprofen and muscle relaxants might be helpful.
3. Methylcobalamin supplements are also recommended for nerve compression symptoms.
4. Cervical isometric exercises are beneficial to maintain the strength of the neck muscles. Neck and upper back stretching exercises, as well as light aerobic activities, also are recommended under the guidance of a physical therapist.
5. Hot fomentation helps in relieving acute symptoms.
6. She can avoid using a pillow.

As she tries these measures, I also encourage her to consult an orthopedician for both evaluation and to avail stronger prescription medications (if over the counter medications are not helpful).
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Have spondylosis. Getting pain in head and neck. Are they related? 6 hours later
Hi Doctor,

Just wanted to know whether this is completely curable and ideally how much time does it takes ?

Thank You for your reply. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 16 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Since it is an age related progressive degenerative change, the progression of the symptoms can be retarded with regular treatment and physical therapy. Complete cure is not likely but she will feel symptomatically better in next 4-6 weeks.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Follow-up: Have spondylosis. Getting pain in head and neck. Are they related? 18 hours later
Hello Doctor,

I am attaching the MRI report of my mother. Sorry as the picture is not clear but I hope it may be useful.

The local doctor said that 2-3 days of medication should give relieve and then they can discharge my mom from hospital. They started the medication on 27-Apr afternoon but the pain persist as it was yesterday. She is having intense pain.
Can you please review the reports and let me know whether there is anything serious or its minor and medicines will help.

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
The report is suggestive of moderate cervical spondylosis with nerve root compression. Cervical traction can help in the pain relief if the medicines are not helpful. It takes at least 5-7 days for the acute pain to subside. She can use a cervical collar for help.
The medicines are likely to help her. Surgery is not indicated right now.