Have spinal stenosis. Suffer pain from neck. Had surgery on disc 4 and 5 and had steroids shot. What to do?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2014
May 2014

Radiologist
Question
have spinal stenosis & now the pain has started in my neck. do you think I should get & MRI? I had surgery 2 yrs ago on my spine disc 4 & 5 I have had the steriod shots They worked the first couple of times but that was it. I am in pain most of the time in my back & my legs till I can not walk.
Posted Sun, 28 Jul 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.

I suppose you have undergone surgery on your lower back spine L4 L5 disc levels followed by steroid treatment. You also report ?lumbar MRI cervical spine is the investigation of choice for studying the neck spine. If your daily activities are getting limited and you are experiencing numbness at your fingertips and severe neck pain, then getting a MRI scan of the cervical spine is most essential at this moment. You may also like to get your cervical spine clinically evaluated by consulting a neurosurgeon.

If the lower back problem is worsening, a MRI scan of lumbar spine may also be necessary to know any progressive changes from earlier scans.

Hope your query is answered.
Further questions are welcome.

Dr Vivek