Have spinal canal stenosis with disk bulgs on C5-C6. Feeling stiffness when wake up. What to do?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2014
May 2014

Radiologist
Question
HI CAN U HELP ME
I JUST BEEN TOLD I HAVE SPANAL CANAL STENOSIS WITH DISKS BULGS ON C5-C6 AND C6 C7 WORSE ON LEFT, BUT WHEN WAKE UP I HAVE BEE STIFF FOR 15 - 20 MINS PLUS BEFORE I HAVE LOST WEAKNESS IN LEGS THEY SAY ITS STRESS RELATED.
Posted Thu, 29 Aug 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in to us.

Spinal canal stenosis occurs when there is decrease usually in the anteroposterior diameter in the passage of the spinal cord. For you I suppose its in the neck region.
Having disc bulges at Levels C5-C6 and C6-C7 can be very painful and I understand your situation well. The pressure of the bulging discs seem to be more on the left side.

The aging process can cause a "bulging of the discs"-the spongy discs between the bones of the spine bulge out farther than normal-or a thickening of tissues that connect bones (ligaments). Aging can also lead to destruction of tissues that cover bones (cartilage) and excessive growth of the bones in joints. These conditions can narrow the spinal canal (spinal stenosis).

It is not unusual to have neck stiffness in your condition, depending on the degree of problem.

Cervical spinal stenosis does not cause symptoms unless the spinal cord or nerves becomes squeezed. Symptoms usually develop gradually over a long period of time and may include:

1. Stiffness, pain, or numbness in the neck, shoulders, arms, hands, or legs.
2. Balance and coordination problems, such as shuffling or tripping while walking. 3. Cervical spinal stenosis can be crippling if the spinal cord is damaged.
4. Cervical stenosis can cause weakness and spasticity in the legs.

I would not say that its always stress that is causing your problems. Complete evaluation needs to be done clinically as well as in imaging before coming to a conclusion.

Hope this answers your query.
Do write back if you have doubts.

Dr Vivek

Follow-up: Have spinal canal stenosis with disk bulgs on C5-C6. Feeling stiffness when wake up. What to do? 6 hours later
i had mri at jr hosptial then xray at abingdon hostpital then mri churchhill that when problem was found. pro roswell asst said it was stress.

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 4 hours later

Thanks for writing in with an update.

The symptoms you are experiencing need to be correlated with imaging and neurological clinical examination. Without an opportunity to examine and correlate MRI findings, it is highly difficult task to understand the seriousness of this concern.

Spinal disc bulges can vary from mild to severe depending on what is seen and problems the patient has been presenting with. I suppose your doctors feel that the symptoms you are expressing might be more severe compared to the MRI scan findings which indicate a milder disease. Hence, they have suggested the possibility of stress component.

I suggest you take another opinion clinically if you personally feel that your daily activities are being limited due to your good health.
Dr Vivek

Follow-up: Have spinal canal stenosis with disk bulgs on C5-C6. Feeling stiffness when wake up. What to do? 30 minutes later
I give permission to conncet kennigton health centre kennington rd kennington oxford england to get the mri scans to look at. So u can look better.
Thank u
Mr C M XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 6 hours later
Dear Mr XXXXXXX
Thanks for your update.

I am sorry to state that I cannot have access to your scans and reports as I am located in India.
May I request you to please attach scanned copy of your reports to your query.

Dr Vivek

Follow-up: Have spinal canal stenosis with disk bulgs on C5-C6. Feeling stiffness when wake up. What to do? 11 minutes later
i will ask my doctor 2morrow for scans and send to u

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 18 hours later
Dear Mr XXXXXXX
I am awaiting your MRI scan updates.
Please keep me posted.

Dr Vivek