Have spinal and cervical stenosis, sciatica, rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia. On hydro codons acetametaphin. Suggest?

I have spinal and cervical stenosis,sciatica,rheumatoid arthritis,fibromyalgia. I am 74 and currently on hydro codons acetametaphin 10-500. ,4 times a day. Sometimes I take 5. My doctor says he cannot prescribe a higher dosage.Is there any other drug you can recommend?
Posted Wed, 7 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,

I do think rather than prescribing higher doses, other drug options could be associated to your therapy to help alleviate the pain. Selective Cyclo oxygenase inhibitors, a special class of stomach could be associated to your treatment. These are generally Celecoxibs.

Another option is moderate use of injectable long acting steroids, which should however be used with lots of caution. In your case considering your past medical history, 160mg of Traimcinolone prescribed once every three months could be pretty effective.

Tricyclic Anti Depressants have proven useful i some cases, especially where nerve compression or irritation is associated.

I suggest you review your family physician, as I strongly believe that a clinical review, taking into consideration these propositions, in order to better adapt the treatment to your case could be of immense help. Follow up from your rheumatologist and neurologist however should remain key aspects in your health care when ever you have the opportunity.

Thanks and kind regards as I wish you the best of health. Feel free asking further questions if need be.

Thanks and kind regards as I wish you good health.

Bain LE, MD.