Have sperm count of .5 million and mortality of 10%. How to improve this condition?

Critical Care Specialist
Hi I am mAle 33 having sperm coint of .5 Milion and mortality of 10%,can this be improved
Posted Wed, 12 Dec 2012 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Sadiq Mughal 7 hours later
Thanks for writing to us

You’re having low sperm count and you want to improve it, there are various ways to improve sperm count and I am going to describe them below in detail:

The most common cause of low sperm count is varicocele,which you had, and you have got it operated.

Stop smoking, because smoking decreases sperm count as well as motility.
Prevent over heating of scrotum. An increase of scrotal temperature ( caused by tight underwear ) can impair sperm production.

Maintain healthy weight. Not too under or over weight, since weight influences estrogen (decreases sperm) and testosterone (increases sperm count) level

Prevent excessive stress and perform relaxation exercises. Stress is sometime responsible for hormonal changes, which influences sperm count. So remain relaxed.

A low sperm count can reflect lifestyle choice that negatively impact male fertility

Stop drugs like alcohol,marijuana,cocaine, anabolic Steroids if you are using one among these.

Do not do intense exercise; overly intense exercise releases high levels of adrenal steroid hormones which can cause testosterone deficiency.

Stay away from Environmental hazards and toxins such as pesticides, lead paint, radiation and radioactive substances.

Drugs. Take regular vitamins and fertility supplement including folic acid Supplements like Fertilaid contains ingredients that have been shown to improve motility and count.Clinical studies continue to demonstrate that antioxidants, the amino acid, I carnitine and minerals like zinc and selenium help to promote sperm motility and concentration.

L-Carnitine plays a vital role in spermatogenesis and sperm development and in ensuring the maintenance of sperm quality and vitality .L carnitine supports the metabolic process of sperm and therefore helps to sustain normal motility.

hCG a hormone is also given to improve sperm count

Since these are prescription drugs and can be given only once you have been examined, I would suggest you to also consult a XXXXXXX for improving you sperm count.

Hope this answered your question.

Do let me know if you have any more questions

Dr Sadiq
Follow-up: Have sperm count of .5 million and mortality of 10%. How to improve this condition? 11 hours later
i have been advised by the doctor to take UBI Q medicine 100 mg,will it works or not
also i was advised to go for Advance ivf technique (Ixci) will it be actually works??????????
Answered by Dr. Sadiq Mughal 13 hours later
Hi, thanks for your follow up.

UBI Q is combination of 4 compounds - ubidecarenone 100mg which is coenzyme Q10; Arginine 100 mg; Alpha tocopheryl acetate 25 IU which is vitamin E and Selinium 100mcg. All these compounds are mostly antioxidant and used for prevention of cell damage. These compounds are also useful in treating infertility to some extent. The extent of usefulness is not known exactly and I hope they work in you.

The second part of your question about advanced IVF is: Yes, IVF will definitely work, but the success rate is not 100%. Repeated trial may be needed to achieve success.

Hope I answered your question. Let me know if there other enquiries

If you don’t have any more questions, close the discussion and write review.

Dr Sadiq