Have spastic colon. Is it safe to drink tea or coffee?

I have a spastic colon, and I would like to know whether tea is better to drink than coffee. I do need caffeine to get through my day as I suffer from drowsiness. Tea has been used in my family as an aid for intestinal flu. Does it behave differently than coffee? If I have coffee within 24 hrs of eating gluten, gas will come up out of my throat. The same will happen if I have chocolate, only worse. I have taken this out of my diet. If stressed enough, coffee may do this by itself. Would tea be better?
Posted Mon, 25 Feb 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

Yes, caffeine is considered a better stimulant to keep you awake, but tea also has the property to do so, although not as strong and effective as caffeine.
Next, you need to understand that a spastic colon requires an exclusion of a number of food items. Let me list them for you:
-Carbonated drinks
-Artificial sweeteners
-Fried foods
-Coffee and tea
-Poultry skin
-Dark or read meat

Some individuals are also sensitive to a few more items, but those are not found to be common.
Coffee and tea have both reportedly caused irritations in individuals suffering from a spastic colon, but coffee has found to do so more often than tea.
For now, it would be a safer choice to go with tea to keep you from feeling drowsy. If this also irritates your colon, you could try some hot water with a hint of lemon juice.

I hope this information helps. Feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications.

Best wishes.