Have soreness and itching on tail bone. What should be done?

I have a sore on my tail bone and it itches. I've tried everything and can't get it healed up
Posted Sat, 17 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 2 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

Certain medical conditions like diabetes, anemia, vitamin deficiences, etc. can be a cause for poor healing. So, I would first advise you to have some basic blood tests done to rule out any underlying general medical problems.

Since your problem seems to be chronic there are two likely possibilities - 1) a chronic infection such as a fungal infection and 2) an allergic / irritant contact dermatitis. It's also better to have a skin testing done (i.e.) a swab / scrapping of that area - for a microscopic examination or culture. This will help determine if there is a chronic infection which needs more specific treatment.

Irrespective of the primary cause (infection or dermatitis), healing can be promoted by keeping the area clean, dry and irritation-free. Often, the sweating, poor ventillation and irritation due to friction or chemicals, worsen the problem and it becomes a viscious cycle of "irritation-inflamation-more irritation", ultimately resulting in non-healing.

- Take regular "sits bath" (sitting in a shallow basin or tub with medicated solution for a few minutes) with diluted potassium permanganate solution (should be available at your local pharmacy)
- Avoid using perfumed soaps, shower gels, etc. as the some of these chemicals can cause skin irritation. It's better to use a herbal soap or a mild non-perfumed soap.
- Avoid using any deodorized toilet tissue. This can again be a chemical irritant for some persons.
- Wear loose, cotton undergarments to avoid sweating and for better aeration.
- If you have any ulceration in that area, then using medicated gauze dressings can be useful in promoting healing as well as preventing further friction / irritation.

Best wishes,
Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar