Have sore vagina with ulcer like spots during sexual intercourse. Feeling uncomfortable. Prognosis?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2016
Mar 2016
Excellent

OBGYN
Question
Hi Lately when my partner and i have sex, usually forplay is involved before hand by the time we are finished having sex i feel sore and noticed last two time that i have a sppot that almost looked to me to be a ulcer or maybe just a chafe. either way it feels uncomfortable and i refrain from having sex because of this. i dont seems to produce enough vaginal fluid to keep me moist and it has affected our sex lives ever since i was taking birth control
Posted Thu, 28 Feb 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 hours later

Thanks for writing to us. I am trying to give answer according to your concern.

There are several possibilities of sore vagina with spot or ulceration following sexual intercourse. These includes as follows:

1) Rough sex for several times/ inserting some objects during foreplay or excitation may cause blunt trauma inside vagina and it is the leading cause in some women.
2) Associated yeast infection or STD (most possible genital herpes). Most herpes lesions are rough & very much painful during urination or intercourse. It affects 1 in 5 people and may remain untreated for a long time. It can also affect your partner without having any symptoms at all.
3) Using chemical substance like lubricant/ jelly with condom or soap/ detergent/ other bath products, related with repeated friction & irritation inside vagina.
4) Vaginal dryness or less amount vaginal fluid (that you have) is also another factor for painful intercourse with repeated rubbing.
5) Others- infected bartholin cyst (though small bump is present inside vagina), pelvic examination (with or without speculum) and some investigations like blood test for STD profile & other serological tests, cell culture & antibody to HSV (1 & 2) for Herpes, Urine examination - routine & microscopy, Vaginal swab test for culture etc.

Treatments depends on underlying causative factor. You may need to take proper antibiotic therapy with local application of cream/ointment (like vagisil etc) or vaginal suppository.

In this scenario, I suggest you to consult with a gynecologist at the earliest for guidance through proper examination, investigation & line of management.

Birth control pill is not likely responsible for sore vagina or vaginal dryness.

Following things are helpful to get relief from above condition:

1) Take healthy diet with anti oxidant (like vit-E etc) supplements. Drink plenty of water.
2) Do not touch/ wipe out genital area too much. Also avoid inserting objects inside vagina.
3) Maintain genital hygiene properly with proper washing & clean.
4) Wear only clean & cotton underwear. Also avoid repeated friction.
5) Avoid using any type of chemical cosmetics or soap or condoms.
6) Try to avoid any type of sexual activity for at least 2-3 weeks.
7) For vaginal dryness (in extreme cases) applying estrogen cream is very much helpful.

I hope above said information is sufficient & very much helpful to you. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health and try to practice protective sex in future.

Dr Soumen.