Have sore throat with swollen lymph nodes in groin area. What is causing this?

Sep 2012

I have swollen lymphnodes in my groin and a sore throat could it be because of a cut on my eye i had glued
Posted Tue, 22 Jan 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 21 minutes later
Thank you for posting a query.

Look, swelling of lymph node and sore throat indicates presence of infection. Viral infection is the most common condition which can give rise to this situation.

A cut on eye which you had glued cannot give rise to this situation. Because in that case, you should experience red eye, increased lacrimation, etc.

A complete blood count is necessary to rule out viral infection. In viral infection there will be reactive lymphocytosis. In that case, no antibiotic is necessary. A simple expectorant and a multivitamin agent is enough.

In case of bacterial infection a broad spectrum antibiotic like azithromycin should be considered.

Lastly, consult with your family physician for a clinical examination and also for a prescription for the above medicines.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.