Have sore throat, swollen uvula and getting funny taste in mouth. What is causing this?

ENT Specialist
My throat is sore and my uvula is red/swollen. I have had a 'funny' taste in my mouth for a few days, though I can't identify the source. What could be the source of this? Do I need to be seen by my GP or is this something that will go away on its own?
Posted Tue, 23 Oct 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 57 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. This may be related to an upper respiratory tract infection. The funny taste may be inflammatory fluid, a post nasal drip or acid reflux.

2. There may also be a relation to the use of a CPAP (fungal infections) and sleep apnea.

3. If you are uncomfortable with the uvular swelling, see an ENT Specialist (or your GP initially) who can examine the uvula, palate, throat, nose and sinuses for any signs of infection or allergy (did a new food item cause this?). It has already been a few days and it has not gone away on it's own.

4. You need not worry if the uvular edema or congestion is not increasing in size. A course of medication including a medicated gargle such as Betadine should be given by your physicians before any further investigations are done.

I must emphasize that there is no cause for worry.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.