Have sore throat, swollen tonsil, noticed white lines on back of it. What is the problem?

ENT Specialist
Question
I had two white lines yesterday in the back of my throat. My throat has been really sore for the past 2 days (swallowing). This morning, my white lines faded a bit but now my left tonsil is swollen. I've had strept throat last year and both of my tonsils were the size of ping pong balls with white on them so I know it's not the same... what could it be??
Posted Sun, 12 May 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 1 hour later
Hello

Thanks for consulting H.C.M.

I have gone through your query regarding white lines in the back of your throat followed by huge tonsillar swelling and severe pain on swallowing. All these features are indicating that you may be suffering from acute follicular tonsillitis. You would require the following.

1. Tab. Paracetamol.
2. Warm saline gargling.
3. Adequate water orally.
4. Antibiotic after consulting with your G.P.

I hope this will help you.

Regards.

Follow-up: Have sore throat, swollen tonsil, noticed white lines on back of it. What is the problem? 28 minutes later
Thank you. Would it be a good idea to visit my family doctor? I am leaving for Cuba in 5 days... I was going to wait to see if it gets better on its own. And as tonsillitis results take a few days... I'm a little worried to develop it completely just before leaving and not have the antibiotics. What do you suggest?? Did you see the pictures??

Thanks fir writing back.

I have seen your both picture concerned with throat, these pictures are clearly giving view of TONSILLOPHARYNGITIS. My opinion is that you should consult your G.P. for getting appropriate antibiotics, otherwise infection may flair up and you may develop fever and other complications.

Regards.

Follow-up: Have sore throat, swollen tonsil, noticed white lines on back of it. What is the problem? 1 hour later
So which one is it? You mentioned earlier « follicular tonsillitis » and now « TONSILLOPHARYNGITIS ». Obviously I know I need to do some tests to confirm which one I have... but how come you changed your mind about the previous infection??

Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 8 hours later
Hi

Madam

Your tonsils are too much inflammed and enlarged that adjacent part of pharynx is also get involved therefore I used the word tonsilopharnngitis the basic disease is acute follicular tonsillitis.There is no difference in disease process and the line of treatment. As soon as your pathology will start resolving the pharyngeal part become clear first and lastly the tonsils.

Regards.