Have sore throat, sore gums and sore teeth. Noticed bump in mouth. What could it be?

ENT Specialist
I have had a sore throat but now I started to experience sore gums and teeth and then this morning woke up with a bump on my upper mouth but towards the back of my mouth. what could this be?
Posted Sat, 19 Jan 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 3 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. If the swelling is in the mid-line, it may be a swollen soft palate or a minor salivary gland on the hard palate.

2. A Torus Palatinus is a normal lump found on the hard palate. It is possible that you noticed it due to the sore throat.

3. If the swelling is right at the back of the throat, it may be Granular Pharyngitis which is very common. If you can share a close-up image here, it will be most helpful in understanding the problem and the exact location of the bump.

4. Get an examination done by an ENT Specialist or a Dentist to confirm this and start medications (including medicated gargles) if infection is suspected. Do not rush into a biopsy.

5. If the swelling persists after a few weeks, get a repeat examination done and share the reports here for further advice.