Have sore throat, producing lot of saliva in mouth and throat area. Any treatment?

Hi, lately I have had issues with my throat that has lead to some breathing issues. I have a sore throat that seems to be producing a lot of saliva in my mouth and throat area. I constantly have to clear my throat or spit out the excess saliva. Last night I woke up at one point with a wheezing sound and it felt like I could not breathe. I sat up and took slow breaths and that feeling passed.

Also the back of my throat area feels sore and when I try to clear my throat no phlegm really every comes out now. It seems to be at its worst when I lay down to go to sleep. When I sit up it doesn't seem to be as bad.
Posted Thu, 8 Nov 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
Hi, thanks for using health care magic

The symptoms may be related to post nasal drip which occurs with sinusitis or rhinitis- if is associated with excess mucus production which drips at the back of the throat causing sore throat. Other possible symptoms that a person may or may not experience would be cough,facial pain, nasal congestion.It is treated primarily with topical nasal spray, antihistamines and avoiding any allergen that may be provoking the symptoms.

In addition some persons suffer from excess salivation, either because their body produces more than usual or they have a problem swallowing it.
Some of the causes are GERD/reflux, infections in the mouth, liver disease (diagnosed by liver function blood tests), ulcers in the mouth, certain medications have this as a side effect (risperidone, pilocarpine,clozapine,ketamine) , sinusitis (may affect ability to swallow saliva).
Excess salivation can cause the gagging and congested breathing that you experience when laying down.

Secretions have a tendency to pool when a person sleeps or lies down, this is the reason it is worse for you at that time.

The treatment depends on the exact cause of the salivation.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions