Have sore throat, heartburn and diminished taste. Had flu. Suggestions?

Sep 2013

Had flu in January and have ongoing sore throat, heartburn, diminished taste
Posted Tue, 9 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 2 hours later
Hello, XXXXX,

You were affected with flu 5 months back. From that period onward there were sore throat, heartburn, diminishes taste.
All these symptoms were related to each other as oropharynx, esophagus ( food pipe) and stomach were connected.
Oropharynx ( sore throat),
Heartburn ( food pipe)
Diminishes taste due to oropharynx ( sore throat) .
Due to viral infection during January ( flu) you developed esophagitis due to erosion ( virus and drugs taken to cure virus). Age can precipitate the problem further.
Taste buds are usually situated at the posterior 1/3 rd of tongue and here we taste. Oropharynx is in contact with posterior 1/3 rd of tongue.

So all these factors were responsible for your problems. Esophagitis also develops gastritis. This further develops heartburn.

In my opinion you should consult a physician for evaluation. You can try with OTC antacids like Mucaine and Prilosec (Omeprazole)
Hope I have answered your question.
If further any question I will help.
Good luck.
Dr. HET.