Have sore throat, headache, pressure behind eyes and popping ears. Is it safe to take amoxicillin?

Hi, starting last night, my throat became sore, I now have pressure behind my eyes, a wicked headache, ears have been popping a bit--like a pressure feeling..and achy neck... I am not stuffed up but over the past few weeks, have had alot of nasal congestion. No fever. On a side note, I had my tonsils out atleast a year ago. I have a brand new prescription of amoxicillin my doctor prescribed months ago when I was starting a possible sinus infection. (She had me use a nasal spray and if that didnt work, I was to use the amoxicillin.) Could I start the amoxicillin to kick this??? With the hurricane headed my way, travelling to my dr (30mi away) is probably not going to be an option over the next 2 days.
Posted Sat, 17 Nov 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 2 hours later
Your symptoms are suggestive of a viral upper bacterial infection overlay. You can start Amoxacillin according to your symptoms but you are very sick.
You should get evaluated by the physician of your locality and treated when feasible.
Decongestant medicines are typically helpful and may be the clinician would like to add/switch antibiotics.
You should improve the oral health, brush twice a day and do chlorhexidine mouth gargles thrice a day and avoid eating any edibles during ensuing 2 hours to ensure good germicidal effect of chlorhexidine; Do warm saline gargles after you take anything orally.
Hope I have answered your query.
If you have any questions I will be happy to answer.
Please close the query if you have no other questions.
Wish you a good health.