Have sore throat, feeling discomfort while swallowing and found lesions on tonsils. Concerned

Hello Doctor, I've had a sore throat and persistent cough for several weeks. Some discomfort with swallowing and bilateral chest pain with inhalation at times. A few days ago I looked in the back of my throat to check for white patches since I've had strep throat multiple times this year and found some type of lesions or sores on my tonsils, they are small, oval, and red. The tissue surrounding the red lesions is looks inflamed. I see no other abnormalities in the rest of my mouth. I am very concerned and would appreciate your advice! Thank You
Posted Wed, 23 Jan 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
The lesion in your throat seems to be inflammatory in nature. The persistent cough and chest pain with a brownish or blood tinged sputum is a worrisome finding. It can happen due to infections like chronic bronchitis or tuberculosis.
I would suggest that you consult your general practitioner who can advise certain tests like a chest Xray sputum examination, blood tests like TLC(total leukocyte count),IgE (immunoglobulin E) and ESR(erythrocyte sedimentation rate) and prescribe appropriate therapy.

Meanwhile you can follow the following remedies:
1. Stay hydrated. Fluids can help reduce the dryness of the airway and help symptoms
2. Gargling with hot saltwater can help cleanse the throat.
3. Elevate your head with pillows at night to ease a chronic dry cough.
4. Do not smoke or use tobacco product.
5. Avoid inhaling irritants such as smoke, dust, or other pollutants.
6. Ginger and balsam (tulsi) used in tea, also reduces dry cough.
7. Avoid hot and spicy foods

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.