Have sore throat, difficulty swallowing, pressure around neck area and under chin, spitting clear mucus. Suggest?

Hi I have sore throat, painful/difficulty swallowing, a lot of pressure around my neck area & underneath my chin, & spitting clear mucus
Posted Sun, 14 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for this query.
I am Dr. Ditah and feel honored having this opportunity to address your health questions today. I am so sorry about what you are experiencing. I promise to do my utmost best to help you through this.

Your symptoms raise the suspicion of bacterial tonsilitis which is caused by streptococcus and is the most common cause of painful swallowing. Some other less common causes include pharyngitis (bacterial and viral) and infectious mononucleosis. These glands are located on both sides at the back of the mouth. Their inflammation explains why you feel pressure and pains. Also, during swallowing food touches these glands and accentuates the pains when they are swollen. Because of fear causing pains during attempts to swallow, you tend to spit out most of the saliva.

This condition is best treated with penicillin V at appropriate doses. Also, you may choose to get a single shot of benzathine penicillin which is as equally effective as penicillin V and guarantees compliance than with penicillin V. Associated to this treatment are pain killers. I will suggest that you talk with your physician who will evaluate you and see what treatment option is best adapted to you.

For the mean time, try some pain killers to relieve the pains. Try to drink so as to stay hydrated and avoid getting dehydrated or becoming very weak. Please, make sure you get the treatment as prescribed as your physician because poorly treated tonsilitis predisposes to rheumatic heart diseases in future and kidney disease(glomerulonephritis).

I hope this answers your query and provides guidance on how to proceed and enough information for you to make an informed decision.
I wish you a speedy recovery as you get this sorted out.
Feel free to return and ask for more information if need be.
Dr, Ditah, MD.

Follow-up: Have sore throat, difficulty swallowing, pressure around neck area and under chin, spitting clear mucus. Suggest? 1 hour later
Thank you I will be going to the Dr. today
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 41 minutes later
I am very happy to hear you will be going to see your doctor today.
I wish you a good trip there and a speedy recovery.

If you have no further questions related to the above query, you may consider closing the discussion at this time. Please remember to rate the answer and write a review. We sincerely care about our clients and hope you do return to use our services in future if need be.
Dr. Ditah, MD.