Have sore throat, cough, foamy saliva and noticed lump at the back of throat. Any solution?

Question
I have an extremely sore throat over the last 36 hours where it feels like my throat is on fire and there is a big lumpnwith sand paper at the back of my throat. Concurrent is a cough for the last 48 hours. The coughing obviously irritates the throat but worse is this whitewater foamy saliva that has to be cleared every 60 seconds or so. And not being able to breathe deeply .I can not sleep because of it
Posted Sun, 3 Mar 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 32 minutes later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

In view of details it looks likely that you have got sever pharyngitis.Coughing and foamy saliva are due to secretions (secondary to mucosal irritation) which body tries to cough out repeated.

Few things which can be suggested are warm salt water gargle, steam inhalation, antihistaminics(to reduce secretions), anti-inflammatory (to reduce pain and inflammation) and antibiotics to clear infection.

Sand paper appearance arises a suspicion of fungal infection like candidiasis. So this needs to be confirmed by a visit to ENT specialist.

You can start the treatment suggested and also consider a visit to your doctor.

Hope this answers your question.Regards.