Have sore throat, chest tightness. Allergic to penicillin. Taking amlodipine, bisoprolol. Effective medication?

I have a tight chest with an unproductive sore cough , loss of voice and aches and pains generally! I am allergic to penicillin but am also taking amlodipine and bisoprolol. What kind of medication do I require
Posted Mon, 8 Apr 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later

Based on the symptoms you have, I suspect you to have an upper respiratory tract infections if associated with body aches and headaches could probably be due to viral etiology. In here most of times there is inflammation in a part of larynx associated with lowered local immunity. Lowered immunity makes the respiratory tract susceptible to bacterial infections. Once a secondary bacterial infection is evolved then you may start having productive cough and fever.

The best way to treat a viral upper respiratory infection is by symptomatic medications like BENADRYL and a gargle with antiseptic solution like CHLORHEXIDINE twice daily after food. This will reduce the symptoms and avoid infection by any bacteria. Also if the symptoms persist for a week or more you may need a course of antibiotics to prevent secondary bacterial infections. Also do take stem inhalations thrice daily with Eucalyptus in it which will sooth the tract and provide relief.

Hope, I answered your query.

Please do let me know if there are any other concerns.