Have sore throat, barking cough, fever, raised rash on face and neck. Worrisome

3.5 year old, male, 34 lbs. generally healthy. Raised rash on his face, light rash on neck, but nowhere else 2 days ago, was worse yesterday. The rash seems to have settled a bit and now he has a horrible sore throat and barking cough. Fever of 38 degrees C. I wondered about Fifth's Disease?
Posted Mon, 27 May 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 2 hours later

Fifth`s disease is caused by a virus and is usually a facial rash only. The rash typically has a slapped cheek appearance. It takes a few weeks to subside. It does not require treatment.

Barking cough and a bad sore throat are symptoms of croup. Croup is inflammation of larynx and trachea. It is contagious among kids and is viral in nature. The treatment is usually supportive, including Acetaminophen syrup for fever, a cough medicine for cough. Research has shown that a trial of oral steroids helps with the recovery from croup. You will need a prescription for it. Though it may subside on its own in a few days.

In my opinion, the rash that your kid is having is due to the virus that has caused croup in your kid.

Hope I addressed your concerns.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Vaishalee