Have sore throat and spitting up blood. Underlying cause?

ENT Specialist
Yes, I woke up this morning and spit up blood 3 times and all thru the night I felt like my throat was on fire
Posted Mon, 8 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for posting the query

After going through the history I do feel that you are suffering from Acute Pharyngitis. Acute pharyngitis is sudden onset of inflammation of the throat characterized by sore throat, congestion of the mucosa, change in voice, with or without fever, etc.

During acute stages there will be congestion of the throat mucosa due to which pooling of blood happens in the engorged blood vessels. During the clearing of the throat, the engorged tiny blood vessels rupture giving rise to blood tinged saliva.

Do not worry! With appropriate intervention this can be take care of. My advice to you is:
1. To drink plenty of warm water, this keeps the mucosa moist and hydrated and also reduces the congestion.
2. Use povidone iodine throat gargles (1:1 dilution) 3-4 times a day after food. Povidone iodine is a good locally acting antibiotic.
3. Try taking an anti-inflammatory medicine such as ibuprofen or diclofenac for pain relief.
4. Avoid any antihistaminic, if at all you are using for sinusitis.
5. Avoid coffee, hot/chilled food and beverages.

With the above measures you should be definitely alright. Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon