Have sore throat and lump under jaw. Why am I having sharp pain in jaw when chewing?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
sharp pain when swallowing or chewingI have a sharp pain on my left jaw. it shoots from my ear down the side of my neck. and I feel a large lump under my jaw. I also have a sore throat.
Posted Sun, 3 Mar 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Your symptoms of sharp pain on chewing with sore throat and a large lump under the jaw are suggestive of a throat infection most likely a bacterial infection.
I suggest the following treatment options currently:
1) For pain relief, anti-inflammatory, fever reducing medications (acetaminophen, ibuprofen) will help you.
2) For sore throat relief you can have salt water gargles (gargle with XXXXXXX warm salt water- one forth teaspoon of salt would be enough in half a cup of water) several times a day, lozenges and warm liquids. Gargling with warm water mixed with dissolvable aspirin can give additional benefits.
3) Avoid Acidic Drinks, Spicy Food and Sour Substances.
4) Consume plenty of water and good fruits and vegetables.
Antibiotics - broad spectrum are a must to control the infection effectively. So seek prompt medical help. Proper antibiotic therapy will help you in faster recovery.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.