Have sore throat and feeling uneasy. How to get relief?

Question
I was traveling since the last 5 days and was drinking cold water, etc.while doing a lot of sight seeing under the sun. I have soar throat and am feeling very uneasy. However, I am able to eat and drink normally.
Posted Sat, 18 May 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 23 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

It has been well-documented that cold liquids or food (eg. ice cream) can result in sore throats, even more when the temperature outside is warm, hot or XXXXXXX

The main reason for this is because cold liquids or food can support the growth and survival of various pathogens (eg. bacteria, virus, etc.).

It is good to know that you are still able to drink and eat normally, which means your oral cavity or its parts are not yet swollen. This could be because you could still be in the initial stages which are characterized by an itchy feeling in the throat and slight discomfort in the throat.

Once the condition has progressed you may experience symptoms like:
-Difficulty in swallowing
-Change in voice
-Difficulty in speech
-Fever
-Lethargy or weakness
-Tiredness
-Headaches
-Pain in throat, that can radiate to the ear
and a few other symptoms.

The best thing right now would be to try to kill the pathogen and prevent the development of an infection. You could start off with having frequent sips of warm or lukewarm water with salt in it. As this is a natural disinfectant.

If possible, purchase an antiseptic mouthwash (eg. listerine) and gargle 3-5 times a day. If you develop any of the above symptoms, please visit a doctor in the vicinity.

I hope you found my response helpful and informative. Do write back to me for any further clarifications, or you could rate my answers after closing this discussion.

Best wishes.

Follow-up: Have sore throat and feeling uneasy. How to get relief? 6 minutes later
oh, this helps... Thank you!

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 2 minutes later
You are always welcome XXXXXXX

Do write back to me for any further clarifications, or you could rate my answers after closing this discussion.

Best wishes.