Ask a Dentist   »  

Have sore throat and burning tongue with white coating on it after tooth extraction. Safe remedy?

ENT Specialist
Question
I had a tooth pulled 6months ago and had to have my bottom partial plate reconfigured with a new tooth. About 2 months later I experienced a thick build up on middle of my tongue. I was able to scrub this off and that's when it all started. I began experiencing an intermittent burning tongue sensation. I became obsessed with the appearance of my tongue. Some days, coated white, some days thick yellow coating on middle. Eased up for awhile, but now very persistent. I now have a sore throat on one side and ear pain. Yes, I know I need to see a doctor but I am petrified. Please help.
Posted Mon, 22 Apr 2013 in Dental Health

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank You for your query.

1. Get an oral examination done from a local ENT Specialist. This is a simple examination and there is no cause for being petrified by an examination. Your doctor can send a throat and tongue swab or scraping for culture and sensitivity.

2. Common causes for a coated tongue are allergy, a post nasal drip (you have sinus issues), acid reflux, bile reflux, dehydration, indigestion, fungal infections, vitamin and mineral deficiencies and so on.

3. These causes may be corrected easily. Meanwhile, you may use a tongue cleaner gently in the morning and night. A medicated gargle will help. Reduce milk and dairy products. Under medical supervision you may try an anti-fungal mouth paint.

4. Most normal people have a coated tongue, especially at the back of the tongue where cleaning is not possible. Hence there is no cause for worry.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Have sore throat and burning tongue with white coating on it after tooth extraction. Safe remedy? 1 hour later
Thank you so much for your reply! I may have downplayed it some....I have had this burning tongue and throat sensation for a few months now. Would the causes you listed for a coated tongue apply to the pain as well? I am gathering my courage to make an appointment. I actually wasn't sure whether to visit my GP or dentist...ENT specialist makes sense. Cancer is a huge fear of mine, though somehow I wonder if this is connected to my dental work, no issues whatsoever before that. I notice a black/corroded looking spot on my bottom partial and wonder if this could be a factor as well. I understand no diagnosis can be made without a doctor visit but it does help to know beforehand that there are common causes besides my number one fear! This has become quite an anxiety issue for me now, to the point of having myself 'dead and buried'. Thank you again for your help.

Thank you for writing back.

1. the burning tongue and throat sensation may be due ti the causes listed above or due to excessive cleaning or scraping of the tongue. The lips and tongue have the maximum nerve sensation in the bodya nd hence are exteremly sensitive to the slightest change.

2. You may have picked up a resistant infection during your dental work (unlikely if aseptic precautions were good) or reacting to some material used.

3. The black/ corroded spot may be normal, Check with the dentist.

4. This in no way appears to be cancer related. At your age, the risk of cancer is very low.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.