Have sore throat. Tonsils swollen and looks red. Worried if it could be cancer?

The past week and a half (two weeks on wednesday) i have had a sore throat. At forst i lost my voice a bit but its back to normal. My tonsils are super swollen and sore and it is like i havw talked to much and need to rest my throat. I did go to the doctors and she said my throat is red but everyrhibg else seemed fine. I am worried it could be cancer- she has referred me to an ent as my tonsils bug me alot. Any advice what this could be as its almost 2 full weeks and no let us or getting better?
Also- i am 29 female non smoker. With in the last month i have had all blood work and all have been good.
Thank you in advance!
Posted Sat, 28 Sep 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
History is not very supportive of cancer

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for discussing your problem with us.
For a 29year old non-smoker & such a short history a suspicion of cancer is a bit unexpected.
This sounds more like a complicated infection of your throat that has now involved your voice box (larynx) as well.
This is a good idea to see an ENT specialist, this will probably ease your tension, give you reassurance, and a course of suitable antibiotics is likely to be helpful.
Meanwhile try steam inhalation & saline gargles. Use hot drinks & avoid cold & sore drinks.
Hope I have given you some helpful clues.
Hope you get well soon.